MEMORIAL COMPLEX IN GORNJA DOBRINJA
This complex is located twenty kilometers from Požega in the village Gornja Dobrinja, the native village of Prince Miloš Obrenović. It consists of Miloš’s endowments: the church dedicated to the Holy Apostles Peter and Paul, built in 1822, a brick bell tower, a wooden chardak (old typical house in the Balkans–usually has a fortified ground floor and a wooden upper floor) with a memorial fountain, a school with a dome and an impressive bronze monument, the work of sculptor Miroslav Protić, on a spacious plateau with an amphitheater and access stone stairway.
SERBIAN RAILWAYS MUSEUM – SECTION OF NARROW GAUGE RAILWAYS IN POŽEGA
This museum is unique in Serbia, as well as in the wider area because it revives the image of the railway at the time of its first introduction on the Balkans routes. As part of the permanent exhibition, there is an old railway station, warehouse depot, scales, turntable, four station tracks with ten different steam locomotives, the oldest of which was “Rama” manufactured in 1873. There is also a railway car exhibit “Franz Josef I” from 1897, a fourth-class passenger wagon from 1885, as well as a standard waiting room with a ticket counter, a “ticket printer” and many other devices and items used in those times.
CHURCH OF THE HOLY THREE HIERARCHES
This monumental church, the largest in Western Serbia, is dedicated to the saints: Basil the Great, Gregory the Theologian and John Chrysostom and is located in the city zone near the river Skrapež. The project was realized by Professor Ljubiša Folić with the blessing of the Bishop of Žiča, his Eminence Stefan while the foundations were consecrated by Bishop Atanasije and Bishop Grigorije Đurić on 11 August, 2002.
CHURCH OF THE HOLY EMPEROR CONSTANTINE AND QUEEN JELENA
In the very center of the city, only one year after the town was established in 1833, based on the project of Russian emigrant Vasily Akurosov a church was built dedicated to the holy emperor Constantine and empress Jelena. Concrete and steel reinforcement were used for the construction, which presented significant construction progress in central Serbia at that time. The interior of the temple was painted by George Zografski from Veles with his sons.
LOG CHURCH IN GOROBILJE
This church is dedicated to the birth of Saint John the Baptist and is one of the oldest and smallest in Serbia. It was built in 1705 after the Great Migration of Serbs. In order to satisfy their religious needs and at the same time meet the Turkish requirements regarding construction, the population built it from wooden elements. It is not elevated from the ground and has a low entrance door. According to legend, the church was moved for security reasons from the area of Slatina, where it was first built to the village area of Počeča where it is currently located. The iconostasis was painted in 1833 by Janko Mihailović Moler and his son. The only preserved Roman monument in Gorobilje-the sacrificial altar, is located at the church gate.
MONASTERY OF ST. GEORGE IN GODOVIK
This monastery was built in the 13th century, at the same time as the church of St. Ahilije in Arilje and was located at the line of defense against the bogumil. Very little is known about the early past of this monastery except that it had its own frescoes which were destroyed by the Turkish fires. The monastery was renovated in 1808 by order of the Serbian leader Karadjordje. In 1832 the first school in liberated Serbia started operating at the Godovik Monastery. At that time, the monastery had its own fraternity and was an important religious, educational and cultural center of Serbia. Today, this monastery has the function of a parish church and is located in the village of Godovik, 8 kilometers from Požega.
CHURCH OF THE NATIVITY OF THE MOST HOLY VIRGIN IN PRILIPAC
This endowment of Prince Lazar Hrebeljanović was built in 1374 in the village of Prilipac, 6 kilometers from Požega. The prince raised it as a sign of gratitude to God for the victory over the ruler Nikola Altomanović. This place of worship has been demolished and rebuilt three times during its history. The current iconostasis was made by Janko Mihailović Moler. An international painting colony is held in the churchyard since 1995, so the church in Prilipac is not only a religious, but also an important cultural center of the municipality of Požega.
CHURCH OF SAINT PETER AND PAUL IN GORNJA DOBRINJA
This temple was built in 1822 by Prince Miloš Obrenović at the location where the church of Kosovo used to be, which was part of the monastery Nikolje beneath Kablar. In the churchyard there are monuments dedicated to the prince’s father Teodor, several worthy priests and national notables, mostly from the 19th century, as well as those who died during the liberation wars from 1912 to 1918 from the area of the Dobrinja church parish. The church is an integral part of the memorial complex dedicated to Prince Miloš Obrenović.
VELIKA HUMKA (LARGE MOUND)
Velika Humka (Large Mound) is an archeological site located in the valley of the river Moravica, in the area of the villages Pilatovići and Prilipac near Požega. Its origin dates to the second half of the 4th and the beginning of the 5th century BC. It consists of a prehistoric necropolis from the Old Iron Age in the center of which is actually a large prince tomb. An Egyptian scarab was found in the tomb, along with burnt remains of a prince, luxurious gold jewelry, an astragalus belt and ornaments from garments, along with a female person, and bronze dishes, most likely of Greek origin which were of ritual character. It is presently under state protection as an archaeological site of great importance.